Sunday, May 17, 2015

Sunday Supper

We try to have a good meal on Sunday, because well why not. We started it awhile ago and it's stuck ever since.  Alan loves pizza, pasta, meat and potatoes. I was in the mood for roast, but not with potatoes and carrots. After browsing my Pinterest boards I found the perfect thing - Nana's Pot Roast.  Me being me, I tweaked the recipe a bit. So I'll give you my version. 

Pulled a roughly 3-4 pound chuck roast out of freezer and defrosted in refrigerator over night. This morning I let it sit at room temperature for about an hour and a half. Got my crockpot (slow cooker) out and put in half a cup of water and a teaspoon of beef base. After the meet reached room temperature, I salted both sides generously with kosher salt, stuck it in the crock pot on low for 8 hours. 

The last half hour I began the sauce. I had leftover rigatoni noodles I used, but you could make any larger pasta I'm sure a ziti or penne would work too. Prepare your pasta according to box.  I only used half a box of pasta. In a large pot, I heated a tablespoon of canola oil on low heat and added minced garlic, cooking until fragrant. Next, I added a large can of petite diced tomatoes, drained, and let simmer for five minutes. 

I took the meat out to rest for 10-15 minutes. While the tomatoes continued to simmer, I added basil, parsley, onion powder, and salt to taste. At this point, I took about two cups of the juice from the crock pot. I added a cup to the sauce. To the remaining cup, I added a tablespoon of cornstarch to thicken the sauce slightly. I kept the heat on low at this point, stirring occasionally.

After the meat rested, I shredded it- it was tender it fell right apart. I added it to the sauce and let simmer for two minutes before adding the pasta. It was so good with bit of an Italian twist and nice to change up the standard pot roast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment