Monday, May 25, 2015

Strawberry upside down cake

This is another simple dessert I made. Okay I admit, the hardest part was flipping it into another pan! All you need is a box of yellow cake mix - prepared following directions on the box, two containers mashed strawberries, three cups or half a bag mini marshmallows and a package of dry jello mix. I was skeptical how this would turn out, but it got rave reviews!

The best part was using the potato masher to smash the strawberries after you slice them. Obviously you could use a blender or food processor but I wanted some varying size pieces and plus that's not as fun!

Preheat oven to 350 and spray a 9x13 pan and place the smashed strawberries at the bottom. Next, sprinkle strawberries with dry strawberry jello. Scatter the marshmallows on top of that. Lastly, add the prepared cake batter. Some of the marshmallows may go to the top which is fine.

I honestly don't know why you use the marshmallows, the cake turned out super moist though and it may help create the strawberry sauce.

Bake for approximately 40-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean from center. Mine took about 50 minutes. Let cool for at least 15 minutes. If you are smart you will have a big platter or bigger pan to flip the cake on to. I used a nylon cutter to loosen edges, I had a pan bigger but rounded that it took some finesse to flip it into but I did it! Alan said it tasted like a strawberry shortcake and he added whipped cream too.

No comments:

Post a Comment