Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happy 2015

I hesitate to say the cliche, "Happy New Year," because although it is a new year numerically, you may find yourself starting a new year at any time. (Sorry that's the wonderful philosophical and psychological side of me :)  Nonetheless, I hope you had a fabulous evening ringing in the new year.  I spent the day editing a project that WILL go into publishing this year. We cuddled on the couch with the furbabies and watched the disappointing Dick Clark's Rockin New Years Eve show.

I remember sitting at my gran's the news would only be on for maybe 15 minutes, but would quickly cut back to NYC and the excitement building there.  The commercials were few and far between, great musical acts and monologues.  I guess times have changed and we change with them.  Alan was rattled by the lip singing performers and I was distraught over the commercials.  I freaked out as the clock said 11:57 and they were still showing commercials.  We had a relaxing, low key evening for once.  It was nice, but I missed the company of friends.  I think I hold such high expectations because granny always made a big deal about ringing in the new year.  Most years relatives would be over all day and early into the next morning, while other years there was just a few of us.  I ate crackers with cheese, pepperoni bread, hot dogs, kielbasa and sauerkraut until I thought I would puke.  We would put on the 50 year old deteriorating party hats and grab the clanky 50 year old noisemakers and run out onto the front porch hooting and hollering.  I think that's why I like entertaining so much because she always had a house full of people. It was usually nothing fancy, often whatever she had or we could walk to the store for, but being with family and friends was all we needed. 

Reminiscing complete, onto business!  I have so much to be thankful for and blessed with upcoming year - it's all a little overwhelming.  I began a new job in October to pursue my research and writing.  I loved teaching. I do find myself missing the 20 plus hugs and worldly little conversations daily but I needed the change for a number of reasons.  I'm thankful I still get my kiddo dose weekly, but I'm also less stressed and find myself pursuing my dreams of writing in more ways.  I also have a dream of opening a cupcake shop so we'll see how that pans out in the future. 

A recent chat with my writing supervisor led to us talking about goals. He said he likes to setup goals rather than resolutions because of the negativity that often surrounds resolutions and they are often followed at first, but dwindle after the first month.  I like this idea a lot.  Although they are similar you do tend to focus on obtaining goals more. They can be short or long-term and often easier to handle than a resolution. 

I'm off enjoy this delicious breakfast sandwich of egg, Gouda and ham created with this awesome Hamilton Beach Breakfast Sandwich maker and create my goals for the year - of course I'll share them when I'm done. 


I leave you with this mantra I found on Pinterest and will expand on it in future posts.  Happy 2015! 



No comments:

Post a Comment