Sunday, August 31, 2014

Sammy Sammy quite contrary how does your garden grow - err not grow

I had the fantastic idea that I would plant herb and veggie seeds in the spring on my beautiful kitchen windowsill. I would have ingredients right at my fingertips.  I didn't want to spend a ridiculous amount on the cute kits you could buy so I waited until these fun planters went on sale at Target and picked up potting soil and bunch of seeds.  I waited and waited and finally I began to see some sprouts! (See the tiny ones poking through on the left?!?)







I was so excited that while taking these pictures my phone slipped out of my hand and into a pan with water - eek!  Luckily, placing the battery in a bag of rice worked. 

Then a few weeks later...



Many of my tiny seeds sprouted into little plants - but a no no bad kitty got to them. The only one to survive was my basil plant which thrived once I put it outside away from the cat! 




Hey, I didn't know I had an apple tree in my yard! 




Luckily my mom's friends and my husband's grandparents gave us tomatoes so I could make salsa and sauce! 


Honestly don't ask me for the sauce recipe. I mean you can but I did my own thing.  Pureed tomatoes 80% of the way added some basil and salt (from my garden err uh pot) and filled the pots 3/4 after I sauteed garlic and onions. I added some oregano and parsley and salt as needed.  I also used my secret ingredient - Kraft Parmesan cheese!  Simmered on the stove for at least 3 hours. I added mushrooms to one pot I think. After they cooked I let cool and put into containers and freezer bags.  I probably have 3 medium sized containers and 4 3 cup bags full.





No comments:

Post a Comment