Thursday, October 30, 2014

Pizza

This is Alan's absolute favorite.  We could have pizza 5 out of 7 days of the week and he would be fine with that as long as it was a different pizza each day. And, well as long as it's not "yucky."  (I like to add vegetables and things he doesn't like to my pizza).  Here are some of our favorites! 

For this pizza we used pre-packaged crust that you can get at the grocery store. I'm almost positive we got them at Aldis.  They are great in a hurry and you can add whatever you want to them.  We were watching Triple D and they were somewhere and put an egg on pizza. Alan and I both looked at each other and knew we immediately had to try it out. We followed the directions on the package.  In the last  3 minutes we removed the pizza and added the egg.  It probably took about 3-4 minutes for the egg to cook completely (well for a sunny side up) you just have to watch it. 


Cooking in the oven



Looks awesome! 


 The finished product! Half the pizza had pepperoni and the other half had prosciutto. Can you guess which half
is mine?!?





And then we cut into them!



This is my "yucky" pizza as Alan called it.  Absolutely delicious prosciutto with mozzarella, sun-dried tomatoes and roasted red peppers. Oh and my awesome pizza paddle too - thanks babe!  




Homemade Pepperoni Roll 

Not a Sunday passes that I don't think about my granny's pepperoni roll.  She made it any time she made buns or felt like it for that matter. This was one of my favorite things that she made. Definitely a comfort food of mine.  I could eat the entire loaf myself.  When I was younger mom and dad always told me I couldn't eat it hot I would get sick (I think they wanted to have it first), but I listened when granny told me not to.  I think it was so good because she made it with love and never had a recipe. She used whatever cheese she had. This wasn't quite as good as hers, but it definitely took me back to sitting in her kitchen on Sunday afternoon listening to big band radio, drinking tea, playing Skip-Bo and eating pepperoni roll.  


1 cup warm water
2 packages dry yeast or approximately 2 Tbs
½ cup (1 stick) melted butter
½ cup sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp salt
4-4½ cup all purpose flour

2 cups cheese (I say use whatever cheese you have - I used a combination of mozzarella and colby jack).
1 package sliced pepperoni


Combine the warm water and yeast in a large bowl. Let stand until yeast is foamy about 5 minutes. 

Stir in butter, sugar, eggs and salt. Mix in flour 1 cup at a time until dough is too stiff to mix. I just use my hands it is easier. Use at least the 4 cups. The dough will still be sticky but hard to mix.
I covered bowl with a dish towel and let sit for approximately 20 minutes or until it was doubled in size.  I floured the counter and kneaded the dough over a few times and placed it back in the bowl and covered for another 15 minutes. (I'm not much for waiting on things but good things come to those who wait ;) )

In the mean time cut up your pepperoni (or you can keep it whole), mix with cheese and one egg white in bowl.  (I used egg white to help bind pepperoni and cheese together for filling) 

After the dough has proofed, divide the dough into halves, granny always made big loaves.
Work the dough with your hand on the floured surface. Flouring your hands if necessary. 

Flatten and cover surface of the dough with the cheese and pepperoni mixture leaving just a tiny bit of dough showing on the ends. Roll up and pinch edges shut with fingers. Repeat with second half. 

Place rolls on oiled and floured parchment lined baking sheet 1-2 inches apart because they will rise. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until oven is preheated. 





Preheat oven to 375' and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.






These were absolutely amazing.  Notice mine were filled a little too much as the cheese oozed out - mmm so good though! 


 Now the real question of the day is which one of these do you consider to be a pizza burger?!?





No comments:

Post a Comment