Thursday, October 30, 2014

Halloween goodies

I finally finished organizing past pictures I took for the blog and came across two from last year perfect for tomorrow's Halloween festivities!  I think it's all the years of working with kids, since my husband thinks I'm crazy, but I love celebrating holidays. Last year I made mummy dogs and spiderweb funnel cakes! 





You could of course make your own dough but sometimes there just isn't time for that.  Pick up a can of crescent dough in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. Unravel the dough (will come out as triangles) and just tear or cut strips.  Use the strips and wrap around the hotdog any way you choose.  If you have kids they will love doing this.  Make sure to leave the hotdog slightly visible at the top to add a face if you so choose.  Bake according to temperature and time on the crescent roll package. 



Ingredients
3 eggs
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups milk
3 2/3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
vegetable oil, for frying

Directions
Beat eggs and sugar together. Slowly add the milk and beat.  Add the dry ingredients and beat until smooth and creamy. I have a pouring funnel I got in a funnel cake mix at one time that I use.  You may use a kitchen funnel.  If you don't have a funnel put the batter into a large plastic bag and seal.

I know they say it's best to use a large cast iron pot, but I've found a medium or large pot will work just as well. Place approximately 2 inches of oil to the bottom.

When the oil becomes hot you can begin to make the funnel cakes.  If using a plastic bag cut a tip off of the bottom of the bag squeezing the batter into the oil moving it around to make designs.  Some choose to use a round metal mold you can pick up at kitchen stores. I love making my own shapes and designs. When the first side is brown - at first it may take a little bit of time but it won't take long, use tongs to carefully flip to brown the other side.
Remove immediately and drain.  I put down a shallow broiler tray and placed a cooling rack on top and placed paper towels on top of that.  You may top with whatever you want. Chocolate syrup is always cool for Halloween, I used powdered sugar. Be creative!


No comments:

Post a Comment