Thursday, October 2, 2014

Brownies!

Alan of course signed me up for a potluck at his work. Now last time this happened I made some kinda of awesome pie that he forgot to take! He kept asking me what I wanted to make and I was asking him. This back and forth went on for a few days.  Finally he came home and said, "I signed you up for brownies - your awesome brownies." Great now I had high expectations.  I knew I had to make his favorite - walnut brownies, but I also wanted to try out Truffle brownies and my dad's infamous orange brownies.  

 Oreo Truffle Brownies

20 Oreo Cookies
4 ounces cream cheese
1 cup chocolate chips


Bake brownies according to package directions, using foil to cover your pan for easy removal. Leave in pan and let cool completely. I don't have time so of course they weren't completely cool and came out fine!

Finely crush Oreo cookies in a food processor. Add cream cheese to food processor and pulse until mixture is combined and smooth. Spread over brownies and press to compact. 

Melt chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Spread evenly over Oreo truffle mixture using an offset spatula. Chill until hardened, remove from pan and cut into squares.




Orange Brownies 
Note: This recipe is my dad's.  I'm sure he got it from Taste of Home or Food Network (now you know where I got my love for cooking and baking from).

Brownie ingredients
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
4 eggs
2 teaspoons pure orange extract
1 teaspoon grated orange zest

Glaze ingredients
1 cup confectioners sugar
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 teaspoon grated orange zest

Preheat oven to 350'

Grease a 9x13 pan. In a mixing bowlstir together flour, sugar, and salt. Add butter, eggs, orange extract, and orange zest and beat with a handheld electric mixer until well blended. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until light golden brown and set. I find sometimes it can take upwards of 35 minutes.  Remove from oven and pierce top of entire cake with a fork.

For the glaze combine confectioners sugar, orange juice and orange zest in a bowl.  Stir until smooth. Pour glaze over cake. Let cook and and cut into squares.




Walnut Brownies 

If you know Alan he doesn't always give me the benefit of the doubt because sometimes I do like to take shortcuts. If you are in a pinch you can surely use a box of your favorite brownie mix and just add the walnuts.  These were not a box but made from scratch *bows* thank you very much :) 

1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup cocoa powder
2 cup sugar (regular white sugar) (I substitute sugar for applesauce)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 egg whites
1 cup chopped nuts


Preheat oven to 300'.  Grease a 9x13 baking pan.

Melt the butter. Pour into large mixing bowl and stir in cocoa, sugar, salt, flour, and vanilla. Mix in egg whites and walnuts. Spread the dough evenly into the baking pan
Bake for 30 minutes.


 I had to laugh because there was legit two truffle brownies left - which I ate up right away since I didn't get to try any - they were delish.  There were only three orange brownies left after Alan said to me that morning, "no one will eat them." Muhahaha 
 The most we had left were the walnut brownies.  Hmm how peculiar being that those are his favorite. I claim he didn't put them out - he said he did. Guess I'll never know! At least he didn't forget them this time.  Love ya babe

While we're on the subject of brownies, I made these awesome banana brownies awhile back.  They were delish! 



 Banana Bread Brownies 

1-1/2 c. sugar
1 c. sour cream
1/2 c. butter, softened
2 eggs
3 or 4 ripe bananas, mashed
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. chopped walnuts (optional)

For icing: 
8 oz. of cream cheese (room temperature)
1 stick of butter (room temperature)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups of confectioners sugar

Directions
Heat oven to 375'. Grease and flour a 9x13 pan - I found I had to bake for about 30 minutes in total. You could also use a larger jelly roll pan.  In a large bowl beat together sugar, sour cream, butter, and eggs until creamy. Blend in bananas and vanilla extract. Add flour, baking soda, salt, and blend for 1 minute. Stir in walnuts if you want.
Spread batter evenly into pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. LIke I said I used a 9x13 pan and it took about 30 minutes. 

While the cake is cooling you can start on the icing. Place cream cheese, butter, vanilla extract in a mixing bowl and whip. Gradually add the confectioner’s sugar until fluffy.









No comments:

Post a Comment