Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Caution: Soapbox rant on obesity

I've been sensitive about this for awhile and now I'm turning to Sam Smash. I won't out the direct source that my rage stemmed from this morning, but I was on social media and came across a post.

I've been overweight for my entire life. I went to nutritionists, had tests, tried multiple weight loss, exercise and weight management programs. What it comes down to is that everyone is different. From underlying medical conditions, to body makeup, traumatic events there are reasons why people are "obese."

I'm not perfect by any means, but i try my damndest to be in better shape and lose weight. But the weight comes off, but doesn't stay off.
Do I walk daily - yes!
Do I run - yes!
Do I eat healthy - yes!
Do I limit sugar and "bad foods"- yes!

I drink breakfast smoothies with flax and chia. I eat oatmeal. I eat Greek yogurt. I substitute egg whites, yogurt and applesauce when baking. I planted a garden. I plan meals ahead. I limit processed foods. I've cut down carbs. I've even learned to drink my coffee black - but yes I do indulge in a nonfat or hell a 2% pumpkin spice latte or caramel macchiatto. I don't deprive my body of food. I love food - if you didn't already know from my food inspired blog.

I love how "people" say eating healthy cost just as much as not. Funny last time I looked at menus the burger and fries were cheaper than the chicken salad I would consider. Produce is not all that reasonable depending on where you are. I do grow my own and support local farms but the costs still add up. Yes, I'll take the $2 cookies over the $4 strawberries.

I love running 5ks and being recognized - but they are so damn expensive. I don't have the money for the gym so I walk and run. I do some weights, I do yoga, I stay active!

So moral of my rant - shame on the media for pointing out just how obese America is. We know!! You don't know everyone's story so stop the body shaming and support us! Love you for you no matter what! 

*mic drop*

No comments:

Post a Comment