Monday, January 19, 2015

Meatless Mondays

Every month I create a monthly dinner calendar.  No, we don't stick to it 100% (if there are unplanned days we are running late or don't make it to the store or go out to eat etc.), but for the most part we follow it fairly well.   I've heard the rave on the cooking shows about "Meatless Monday."  We eat a decent variety - not too much red meat, some pork, chicken I do seafood, but Alan does not. I decided why don't we give it a try.  Okay, to be honest we are trying to cut back on the meat so we're starting with baby steps and just not making meat the big portion.  Last week I made the most amazing, easiest potato cheese soup ever! The first time I made it in the crockpot it turned out awesome. The next time, horrible.  With that being said I looked for an easy recipe.  I was excited when I found this one using our favorite - Steam N Mash!  No peeling, no cutting no boiling WOOT WOOT!  I grabbed my dutch oven and got to work.  I'm in the process of recovering my vanished pics, so when I do I'll share because this was a winner!

Next up, haluski, a Polish favorite. It is one of the meals my gramma made that I actually enjoyed.

In a pot, boil package egg noodles according to directions and drain. I boil them for about 5 minutes since they will cook a bit more once you add to cabbage.

Core and cut up a small- medium head of cabbage. In a medium pot - I used same one I made noodles in, melt 1/4 cup of butter. Next, add minced garlic and diced onions. Alan isn't a big onion fan so I leave that out. Cook until garlic is fragrant. Add cabbage - season with salt and pepper. Since I left onions out, I used onion powder too. Cook over medium for about ten minutes.  Add noodles and cook for another five minutes.  Yes it is Meatless Monday, I may or may not had a side of kielbasa :)

No comments:

Post a Comment